- Lesson 1 – Be able to identify what Kid-Swing moves you make by answering the questions and studying the photo’s below
- Lesson 2 – Learn about The Golf Swing Mastery Factor and how it is violated in the Kid Swings and forms the backbone of the mechanically correct Professional, Adults Golf Swing.
Lesson 3 – The Truth About attempting to improve your golf swing the wrong way and the right wayIn part 2 of this series Lesson 4: How to use your brain when practicing versus, when playing on the course. (The best players switch from “training-mode” to Playing-Trusting Mode”.)In part 2 of this series
1. Below left, Kids Golf Swing Fault #1: a long, floppy, inconsistent, power-leaking kids-swing = poor contact between ball and club-face, thin and fat shots, and wayward shots left and right
Below right: a balanced, powerful, Adults Golf Swing (9-iron being used)
2. Below left, Kids Golf Swing Fault #2: off-plane, slice and pull-producing flat-swing…another Kids Golf-Swing move
3. Below left, Kids Golf Swing Fault #3: a flippy kids-release = big curling hooks and pulls.
Below right: the correct release = powerful straight-shots
4. Below left, Kids Golf Swing Fault #4: the classic over-the-top move = slices and or pull-hooks result.
Below right: the correct unhurried transition = straight, powerful driving
See Below My Golf Swing Evolution, And How You Too Can Fix Your Kids Golf Swing Flaws And Hard-Wire A Mechanically Sound, Consistent Professional Adults Golf Swing
As a teenager and even into my twenties, playing as a Trainee Golf Professional, I most definitely had swing flaws 1, 2 and 3. My swing was long, floppy, powerless and relied purely on timing, it was indeed a Kids Swing.
My average score was 4 to 6 over par with 7 to 9 greens hit in regulation. Having said that, in mid 1997, I started putting very well. Excellent 23-26 putts/round putting allowed me to shoot under par a few times/years.
In my first trainee-pro match of 1998, my ball-striking on a short course with many par 3’s was not ugly, just typical: 9 greens in regulation.
The putting on the other-hand, well, take a look below.
Obviously, that low score only happened because of very good putting. Myself or any golfer can never come close to having 23 putts each round. That was as low as I could go.
Over the next fourteen years my swing mechanics improved and I uncovered the truth about how a Pro-Level Adults Golf Swing works. This type of swing will typically produce shots that hit 12 to 14 greens in regulation, for an average score of around even-par.
A few years ago I was playing once/week and practicing every now and then.
I arrived for the Saturday Medal looking to enjoy the game and implement a slight adjustment to my putting routine after some lackluster putting in previous rounds. [The course: 6100m/6700 yards, par 72.]
Now, as opposed to one and half decades earlier as detailed above, I don’t have a Kids Golf Swing, I have a Pro-level, Adults Golf Swing. The score card is below.
This is the low scoring that is possible when you combine a solid swing with good putting and shortgame.
I Discovered One Supreme Governing Factor that Fixes and Transforms Kids-Swings into Simple, Repeatable Adults Swings…
It is named “The Golf Swing Mastery Factor”
Deep down inside you, you still believe that you can achieve a much higher level of Golf Swing Mastery. Correct, you can. I was in your position for many years before finally fitting all the pieces together.
Discovering The “Golf Swing Mastery Factor”
Looking back over my golf swing evolution, I discovered a common factor among all Tour Pro’s Swings that is missing in various degrees in all Amateur Kid Swings – it’s the missing link.
I call it The “Golf Swing Mastery Factor” and it impacts on all of the flaws mentioned.
Knowing about it means you will understand why a Professional Adults Golf Swing works and then you will be able to use it to swing better and score lower.
(A much higher level of Golf Swing Mastery may mean a 50% increase in your current greens-hit-in-regulation tally.)
Will get back to the Golf Swing Mastery factor in a minute…
….Question: How do you know if you have any of these “Kid-Swing moves”?
For example, I was told many years ago repeatably, that my swing was flat. And it was. Then in the next phase of my career I was told my swing was too long. And it was. I finally worked out how to fix these (among other faults); as a consequence my ball-striking moved up to a much higher level.
Swing-Faults Observations #1: Observations from other golfers about your swing-faults
Firstly, what have other golfers repeatably said (not just one person) to you about faults in your swing? (If a number of different golfers are seeing these faults in your swing then you have them; don’t worry about that, acknowledging them is the first step to improving your swing.)
Perhaps you have been told:
- “your swing is too long”
- “your swing is flat,”
- “you swing really fast”
- “you try to hit too hard”
- “you slice or draw the ball a lot”
- “your grip is not correct”
- “you move off the ball” (with your center/head, laterally)
Swing-Faults Observations #2: Your personal observations about your swing and ball-flight
Secondly, what have you observed from your ball flight, and what do you feel in your swing is not quite right? See the list below:
- Do you come-over-the-top on the downswing frequently (or every now and then) and hit weak slices or ugly squirrel-scaring pulls?
- Is your balance poor?
- Do you slice, block, hook or pull frequently?
- Do you have the ability to control your swing – to hit aggressive half/punch-shots, three quarter shots, punch-shots, and soft or hard swings?
- Do you sometimes “lose your swing” and hit the ball everywhere but straight?
Hopefully now, you are thinking about those observations. As I said previously, acknowledging your faults is the first step to improving your swing, rather than just continuing to put up with the same swing faults, or desperately praying that some new club or magic tip will fix everything, they can’t.
Part 2 – Discover The Golf Swing Mastery Factor
Look at the photos below…can you see the common factor in the faulty Kid Swings versus the correct Professional Adults Golf Swing?
The answer is Big Picture, and rapid gains can be achieved (improving your swing) at first – by simply knowing about it then doing _____ with your swing.
Additional gains can be made after with a more focused technical approach.
Have you worked out what all these Kids-Swing moves have in common?
Are the movements made in the Kids-Swing more or less extreme?
I’m not theorizing here, trust me…I damn well wasted hours, energy, and my entire life took a different path because I had these Kids-swing moves (and I did loads of practice. Sadly, I didn’t practice the right things and hard-wire the correct Adults Golf Swing).
With decent timing I could scrounge a few over par (and that was with scratch-handicap-level shortgame and putting), but many times I would finish well into the eighties for 18 holes.
Now…well your saw the scorecard on the previous page, a 9-birdie round of 65. My swing is far from perfect, but even when I DON’T have my A-Game as in the low round cited, I can score around even-par every time I play.
I’m a golf-tragic…I love the game. Nowadays I am inspired by:
- Learning more about golf and teaching and coaching golfers like yourself to go from what I had – a Kids-Swing and the ordinary ball-striking that goes with it, to learning about and then hard-wiring an Adults Golf Swing that produces quality golf shots week after week, year after year.
- And of course I enjoy a little practice and golf on the course – creating all the shots that one comes across in a day or afternoon-adventure out on the golf course – it’s an absolute pleasure and a privilege. (The golf course is my place of worship, gym, learning center, workplace and amusement park!)
Back to The Golf Swing Mastery Factor…
Once again, are the movements made in the Kids-Swing more or less extreme?
Okay, here it is…don’t brush this off, remember, as I have stated, I have had both levels of swings, one is weak, erratic and under performs, versus, what I have now, a professional, mature, Adults Swing. They are SO different. I literally play 10 times less than when I had a Kids-swing, yet now, my scores are lower and the difference in ball-striking is laughable.
The Golf Swing Mastery Factor?
Here it is:
Look at the photo’s above and the points on them below:
- Over-swinging with arms = Doing MORE
- Overactive legs and hips = Doing MORE
- Swing the club away flat and off-plane = Doing MORE
- Lateral sway and over extension of arms = Doing MORE
- Swing over-the-top on transition = Doing MORE
Your arms, hands, legs and center hurt your swing by doing MORE – more rolling, sliding and turning, while using MORE energy.
So, do better swingers do less in their swings?
They sure do, my swing is a completely different length to before and I swing at a faster tempo. I can now swing it half, three quarters, or full with slight changes to the tempo required for the different swings. I’m in control of my swing, and when you control your swing you control the ball-flight.
If you can’t play half, punch and three quarter shots well, you swing too hard or over-the-top often and or can’t habitually drive strong and straight, you have Kid-Swing flaws that result in a lack of control over your swing.
Do LESS to get MORE out of your swing and golf game
- Now, my hands do LESS in the backswing to put the shaft and arms on the correct plane.
- My swing is LESS now (shorter).
- From the top of the swing, the chronic over-the-top-move or simply rushing the move which every one is prone to, comes from using MORE energy (tension) as opposed to simply doing LESS – letting the club-shaft and left arm slot into the downswing plane (right hand player).
By giving up and trying less you can build a pressure-resistant, on-plane, repeatable, Professional-Like Adults Swing
Remember, I’m telling you from experience…I know what a Kids Swing felt like…
…I knew the different tempo I had with an overly long, weak swing that relied not on mechanics but on perfect timing…
…I knew the fear I felt on not being able to hit crisp half-shots from 40 to 70 yards – resulting in fat or thin shots (sometimes I reverted to a long swing so I didn’t have to deal with a half-swing for a half-shot – the way they should be played).
I knew the exasperation of struggling to hit solid shots and score lower than players that had less talent, feel and love for the game than me; the cold hard fact was my swing was technically worse than theirs.
With the right swing and practice information you can fix your Kid-Swing flaws and transform your swing into a repeatable, confident Adults Golf Swing that will serve you over the the coming years
You now understand the concept of a Kids Golf Swing versus and Adults Golf Swing. Basically, we are going to simplify your swing, it will become more pro-like, and the good thing is, the biggest gains will come from not getting all technical, the big gains will come from……?
Doing LESS of course!
In the Simple Golf Swing Training you are taught how to simplify and upgrade your swing. If you want to improve your swing, enroll in the training.
In part 2 of this series we look at:
- Lesson 3 – The Truth About attempting to improve your golf swing the wrong way and the right way
- Lesson 4: How to use your brain when practicing versus, when playing on the course. (The best players switch from “training-mode” to Playing-Trusting Mode”.)